Saturday, September 13, 2008

Blogging is hard

Phew, I just finished my first serious post and I must say, blogging is hard and I kept having "Barbie moments".

Blogger is not terribly "programmer friendly" - there is no plugin or whatever they call it to post source code - I eventually found out about various javascripts that would solve the problem, settled on syntaxhighlighter, almost gave up on using after seeing that it needs to be hosted somewhere and finally figured out that I can point directly to the Subversion repository.

Phew again. Now I get to post some source code - but it looks all wrong, the code lines are too long and they wrap and it looks pretty bad - and of course I can't get Visual Studio to do nice line wrapping (maybe ReSharper would help but I cannot afford it). I manually get to format my code to approximately 80 characters per line.

Almost there, but the Blogger WYSIWYGWSYGFYGFWSYG editor keeps messing up the paragraphs so I have to edit in the HTML view - retarded - but I get used to it.

And I still can't figure out how to attach a file to a post, probably need to host it externally ...

Update: I found a widget based on syntaxhighlighter that makes things a bit easier.

No comments: